Lentils are delicious legumes that also happen to provide protein and fiber. Bruschetta is an Italian sauce made from tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil. Beyond using it for picnics, this recipe makes for a yummy appetizer or side dish. Serve with homemade pita chips or store-bought low-sodium chips.
Lentil Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 bag cooked lentils
- 1 8-ounce container fresh refrigerated store-bought bruschetta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 Persian cucumbers
- Drain bruschetta in a colander.
- Break the cooked lentils up into a large bowl. Add drained bruschetta. Add olive oil and pepper. Mix well and taste. Add more olive oil and pepper if desired.
- Chop cucumbers and add to lentil bruschetta. Mix gently. Cover and refrigerate to store.
(per 1 cup serving): 160 calories, 6 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 275 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 8 g protein.