Instead of a whole chicken, this recipe uses chicken breasts to save time. A word of caution: Do not use boneless, skinless breasts as they will dry out in the oven. If you prefer, discard the skin after cooking. A simple mix of butter, lemon, rosemary, and pepper provides all the flavor.
Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter,softened to room temperature
- 1 lemon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, skin-on, bone-in
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Pat chicken dry using paper towels. Zest the lemon until you have 1–2 tbsp lemon zest. Chop rosemary.
- In a small bowl, mix softened butter, lemon zest, rosemary, and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Coat top (skin side) of chicken with mixture. Place chicken skin-side up into an oven-safe skillet. Roast 30 minutes, then check internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer. Chicken is done when it reaches 165°F. If it needs more cooking time, check every 5 minutes until it reaches 165°F.
- Carefully remove pan from oven, and cover loosely with foil. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes.