Types of health care providers that treat children with lupus

Lupus Foundation of America

Resource Content

Children with lupus are usually treated by a pediatric rheumatologist (a specialist in diseases of the musculoskeletal system in children and adolescents), or an immunologist (a specialist in diseases of the immune system) who is familiar and comfortable with the special needs of children. If you need help finding a doctor in your area, call the LFA toll-free at 800-558-0121.

Lupus is a systemic disease, which means it can cause complications in many parts of the body. There may be times that your child needs to see a kidney specialist, a heart specialist, or other health care professionals. The team approach is the most successful way to manage lupus. In order to keep all of the care coordinated, it is advisable that one of these doctors -- usually the rheumatologist -- takes the “lead” for your child’s care.